Chinese businesswoman who trespassed at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club has been deported Daily Mail Online


A Chinese businesswoman convicted of trespassing at President Donald Trump ´s Mar-a-Lago club and lying to Secret Service agents was deported over the weekend, federal authorities said, more than two years after serving her sentence. Yujing Zhang was turned over to immigration officials in December 2019 after serving her eight-month sentence. But she was held at the Glades County Detention Center for three times as long as her prison term mainly because of deportation delays during the COVID-19 pandemic, immigration authorities told the Miami Herald. Yujing Zhang (pictured) was turned over to immigration officials in December 2019 after serving her eight-month sentence for having trespassed at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago club Previously, while appearing for sentencing, she attempted to explain her presence at the club (pictured) by saying she wanted to meet then-President Trump At the time of her sentencing, the then 33-year-old Zhang went to Mar-a-Lago 'to meet the president and family and just make friends.' When an incredulous judge questioned her about whether she thought she could really meet the Trumps, Zhang laughed loudly and said she hoped to meet other people, too. Zhang then told U.S. District Judge Roy Altman that the president told reporters that he had invited Zhang to Mar-a-Lago. But Altman said that was another lie. It's unclear what Zhang's motives were, but the judge said it was clearly about more than getting a photo opportunity. Pictured: A court sketch from April 15, 2019, showing Zhang listening to Magistrate Judge William Matthewman in West Palm Beach, Florida In December 2020, Zhang unsuccessfully tried to speed up her expedition After serving her sentence and while still detained by U.S. immigration officials, Zhang grew desperate to expedite her return to China. The newspaper reported she filed a petition in December 2020 to speed up the process, but was not successful. Zhang wrote in English that she had been held at the Glades County Detention Center, had no money to call her family in China, and needed an attorney to gain her freedom and go home, according to court documents. When she was arrested, she was carrying four cellphones, a computer and an external hard drive and her hotel contained more electronics and cash. That led to speculation she might be a spy, but she was never charged with espionage.

This data comes from MediaIntel.Asia's Media Intelligence and Media Monitoring Platform.

Visit the original:

Comments are closed.